Wednesday, February 10, 2016

That salesperson has "attitude"

I was discussing my blog today with someone I consider in the category of "excellent" in the sales profession.  Our conversation revolved around attitude, but not in the negative sense of "he's got attitude", but in the positive sense of someone who loves what he's doing, who loves to be alive, who loves to meet people and help them out, who is cheerful and confident.
Give me a person with a good and cheerful attitude, who is happy selling stuff, and I'll teach him the product and show him where to go to sell it.  You can teach product, but you can't teach attitude.  And selling, like many professions, involves rejection.  Dealing with rejection with a positive attitude, an attitude that says "I'll keep coming back until he gives me an order", is the essence of success in sales.
Give me someone who says--"I love to meet people and get to know people and to understand their  business", give that person product training and you have an unbeatable combination.  Hire a "Debbie Downer" with an engineer's knowledge of your product and he will fail as a sales person.

No comments:

Post a Comment