Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The Master Salesman II

This is a continuation of my discussion of my father as a Master Salesman.  

I divide salespeople into two types:  transactional and relational.
The transactional salesperson (TS) wants the order at all costs and has probably already spent the commission.  TS is usually under great pressure.  He's got bosses hounding him to make his quota.  He's afraid of losing his job, so he may do a lot of things to get the order--some may even cross the ethical line.

The relational salesman (RS) is in business for the long term.  He knows that the customer drives his business and that patience and persistence may not get the first order, but will often get the next and the next.  Persistence and patience.

I plan to spend some time on transactional vs relational sales.  My point in this post is to show that relational sales makes a Master Salesman.  My father was the ultimate relational salesman.  His whole career as a salesman was building relationships.  Relationships he carried for his whole life.  

I believe in relationship selling because my father, my mentor, was very successful because of this style.   Build relationships and stop focusing on the order and you will have a successful sales career.

No comments:

Post a Comment