Monday, November 23, 2015

Product Knowledge Continued

Since I consider product knowledge to be the most critical asset of a salesperson, I would like to continue with this discussion.
I can't emphasize enough that what sets one salesperson set apart from another is product knowledge. When the salesperson knows his product, the sales experience for both the customer and the salesperson becomes a joyful experience.
Customers always have different experiences and different educations and bring these experiences and education to the buying event. A good salesperson has to be equal to the task. A customer who has engineering education will have different questions than a customer who is a lawyer, or one whose background is mechanical. If you really know your product, you don't have to worry about the customer's education. You can handle anything.
So, how do you get this "product knowledge" you need to be successful?
I always start with a search engine like Google or Bing. There is tremendous information in cyberspace.
Let's stick with our previous example, Sub Zero refrigerator. Just Google: "What makes Sub Zero the best refrigerator?" We find out, among other things, that Sub Zero has an interior air scrubber that scrubs the gasses off the food.
Wow. Stand back. I'll sell Sub Zeros every day with that information. And I have just started.
What about the insulation? How much money will that save me every year?
What about the dual compressors and dual evaporators? What advantage is that?
So much to learn to become a great salesperson.
Once you've done your homework, the next step is to make comparisons with other products that are similar. I'll take that up in the next post.









2 comments:

  1. Hey Ed, great series, in the above post you hinted at more on comparisons but I think I missed the next post after this one because I didn't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The previous post should have had the words "Product Knowledge" in the blog title. It does now.
      Thanks my friend.

      Delete