Friday, January 15, 2016

The Master Salesman

I had the great fortune of being mentored in sales by a master salesman, who also happened to be my father.

I have asked myself many times what the traits were that made him so successful. For one thing, he loved the sales process. It didn't really matter to him what he was selling--a $2 grease tip for a grease gun or a $150,000 oil water separator for an oil terminal--he sold everything with the same degree of enthusiasm. The commission dollars resulting from the sale didn't motivate him. The sales process motivated him; closing the deal motivated him.

We would attend trade shows and someone outside his territory would come up to him and start asking questions. He didn't slough the guy off to the salesman responsible; he made the sale, enthusiastically.

My first job out of graduate school was teaching in college. After 5 years I looked at my department chairman--the most unenthusiastic person on the face of the earth, and I looked at my father who was the same age and who lived each day full of enthusiasm. I asked myself who do I want to be like when I'm in my 50s and 60s. I left teaching to join my father and have not regretted it and at age 72 I'm still enthusiastic about my job. So I made a good decision.

So, enthusiasm for the sale and the sales process is one key ingredient.

We'll discuss more ingredients I learned from the Master next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment