Sunday, November 27, 2016

"I Hate Salesmen"

How often over the past 40 years have I heard that statement: "I hate salesmen".  My response is always--"what do you do for a living?"  The answers range from: "I'm a priest", "I'm a full time mom (or dad)", "I'm an auto mechanic", or "I'm a supervisor (or manager) at XYZ factory (or XYZ store)".

And then I launch into my lecture: "Everyone's a salesman".  

Image result for image of I hate salesmen 

If you're a mom, you're always trying to convince someone (your husband, your kids) that your decisions or ideas or methods are the right ones.  When you do that, you're a salesman.  And when you truly believe what you're saying, you're a good salesman.

The same can be said for a floor manager in a store or factory.  Sales is a part of everyone's job--a minister or priest trying to convince people to follow biblical precepts, a cashier in a store trying to convince a customer to sign up for a loyalty card.  Sales is everything; salespeople are everywhere.  They just don't think they're selling.  But the components are there:

  • Product knowledge (why should I sign up for your loyalty card?)

  • Firm belief in the value of your product (a waiter who has eaten that special plate and vouches for its wonderfulness.

  • Personal belief in the value of what you're trying to convince the other person: "you can't get that tatoo, you're only 3 years old".

The problem is that there are people out there who try to convince you about something that you know they don't believe in.  They are NOT true salespeople.  True salespeople believe in what they're selling.  What I called "transactional" salespeople are not true salespeople; they are NOT interested in the sale, or bringing a product or idea to you that will make you or your life or your company better.   They are interested in the commission or achieving a quota.

Relational salespeople are the only true salespeople and when you hear the statement "I hate salesmen", you should challenge it.  Sales is a noble profession and we should be proud that we are part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment