Monday, March 5, 2018

LinkedIn: Back from the Dead

Image result for image phoenix rising from the dead
Phoenix, rising from the dead
Last week I attended a two day sales conference and came away with a lot of ideas which I will be sharing with my subscribers and readers over the next week or two.
One of the huge things that I came home with was a new appreciation of LinkedIn.  LinkedIn has always been a place where everyone goes and writes their profiles and then never goes back.  I have a friend who died five years ago but his profile is still alive and well and causes me sadness whenever I log on.  LinkedIn has been a place of neglect.

MICROSOFT BOUGHT LINKEDIN FOR 26 BILLION DOLLARS IN 2016

In 2016, Microsoft bought LinkedIn and over the past two years has made it look very much like Facebook.  What does this mean for us sales folks? 
1.  It means that you better get back on and update your profile, fast, 'cause people are looking.
2.  It means that you need a business presence on LinkedIn.  You can now easily create a Company Page right from your profile page.  Just click on "Work" on the top right of the page and a new window will open.  Scroll to the bottom and you will see "Create a Company Page  +"--and LinkedIn will lead you to the next steps.
3.  Get involved.  All of your colleagues probably have profiles (they're not updating).  Link to them and they'll get the message.
4.  Comment, post and make more industry friends.  You'll be familiar with the format since it's a lot like Facebook.
5.  LinkedIn is Facebook for business.  You can find out who's doing what; who moved from one job to another; what's going on in your market place.
6.  Finally, you can join groups that specialize in what your focus is. Again, you click on the "Work" tab on the upper right of the page and then click on "Groups" to find a list of groups that fits your profile.  ("Bots" are amazing and the subject of my next post.)
7.  At this level, everything is free.  But I know sales managers who use LinkedIn premium which costs almost $800 a year.  I will discuss Premium in one of my future posts.

LINK IN to LINKEDIN


No comments:

Post a Comment