Thursday, July 14, 2016

Spotlight on Passion

Mark Ruffalo plays a Boston Globe writer, Michael Rezendes, in the movie "Spotlight".  This was a very powerful movie, but what stood out for me was Ruffalo's characterization of a very passionate journalist.  The movie won an Oscar and the only reason Ruffalo didn't was because of Leonardo Dicaprio's incredible performance in "The Revanant".
Ruffalo protrays a journalist with true passion--the kind of passion that a good salesperson needs; the passion that comes from belief in your cause--in a salesperson's case, the cause is your product.
So how do you get passionate about your product?  Let me start with a negative: if you can't be passionate about it, you have no right to be selling it.  If it is just a way to generate income to support your true passion, you will not be successful.
If, after much research and study, you find out that your product is inferior to your competitors' products, then you probably can't be passionate about it.
I have sold industrial air compressors throughout my sales career; I have sold different brands of compressors.  My technique is to find the features and benefits of the product that I can be passionate about: the efficiency, the volume of air produced per horsepower--whatever.  I find it and I'm passionate about it.
Another product I've sold throughout my selling career are fiberglass tanks.  Through most of my career I sold one brand and then, because of circumstances, changed brands.  How do you change your passion for one into a passion for another?  By understanding the manufacturing and how it is better; by understanding the company and the company's service--going beyond that materials in the product to all the "bones" that make one company different from another.
If you can't find the passion, then you can't sell the product.  You can take orders, but you can't SELL the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment