Sunday, July 10, 2016

Build up your nerve to sell by just doing it

The story below is from Dan at empowermentnation.com.  (Check out www.empowermentnation.com) The point of the story for this blog is that the best way to becoming a better salesman is to go out and sell.  Fear is the enemy of sales. Just Do It, as the Nike motto goes:
A few days ago, I was inside a cafe, having lunch, drinking coffee, and reading a book. Through the cafe window, I saw another guy at a table outside, also eating. (I'm one of those strange "people watchers" that always pays attention to the people around me.)

Shortly after he was finished, the guy (I later found out that his name is Brian) reached into his bag and pulled out a flute. The flute was one of those Native American-type of flutes with six holes, and it looked something like this:








A few minutes later, I could see that he had started to play it. Brian wasn't with anyone. It was just him, his empty plate, his bag, and his flute.

I decided it was time for an after-lunch coffee and moved outside with it to continue my reading. Now I could actually hear Brian. Honestly, he was not the best at playing, but was much better than I would be.

While I heard people comment about how he lacked skill, I thought what he was doing showed something else about him: he didn't care how good (or bad) he was; he didn't fear what others thought. He was enjoying practicing his flute.

Eventually, Brian had two, then three other people surrounding him, asking questions about the flute, while he gave little demonstrations of what he could play. (He must have played "Frère Jacques" ten times, which was driving some people nuts, but didn't bother me much.) He was more than happy to share what he knew to his little audience and didn't worry about what others thought.

Later, I walked up to Brain and talked to him. I asked him about his flute, and he was happy to explain what he probably already had explained multiple times to the others that were with him previously.

Then he told me something interesting:
He had only practiced for a few hours before playing in public.

After he told me that, I was really surprised by how little fear Brian had and that he didn't really care how good he was or not.

I said, "I have to give you credit: many people would fear playing in front of others like this." Brian then told me he practiced for a few hours and was "good enough" to play.

After those few hours of practice and with his little audience, it showed that he was "good enough" to capture the attention of others and to teach them what he knows.

Many times we think that we aren't "good enough" to help others or display our talents. Before we help others, we need to have more: more knowledge, more time to learn, more time to research... when we may already have the talent that can capture the attention of others, or help or teach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment