Sunday, January 24, 2016

Relational Selling

Two years ago, I bought a used car. Used car salesfolks have a bad reputation.  They often get a very low rating on the professions scale.  My salesman, Calvin Schoon, calls me, faithfully, three times a year: on my birthday, on Christmas, and in the early spring.  He has no agenda other than to say hello.  But where will I buy my next car?--from Calvin.  Any salesperson, no matter what they're selling, can be a relational salesperson.  Calvin personifies the sales profession: future sales generated from relationships.  I'm not talking about taking the customer out to dinner or inviting his family to your house for a cookout.  I'm talking about caring for the customer and communicating this concern to him.  I'm talking about making the customer think that it's more than the order that is at stake.  That you're in this for the long term and that you'll take care of him long after the order is placed and shipped.


No comments:

Post a Comment